Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 36 - Garlic Lemon Chicken Fajitas

The product of boredom.
Tonight on the menu was yet another intense full-body craving item. The desire was triggered by a simple Mexican inspired salad at the local coffee joint, Seven Suns.

It was a Sunday morning and besides the request from my daughter to play bunnies in the bathtub we could not come up with something to do that was collectively received by the family tribunal. It is not that I do not like being silly and spending time with my daughter in that kid-like way, because I do. I value the moments of pure idiocy as we throw our bodies onto her bed only to be catapulted back onto the floor - the pain more hilarious every time we attempt. Lately, though, there is dissension in the ranks of play land. It seems that my ideas or tangent in the game are not being received well.

"Mommy! The bunny is magical and cannot get eaten by a crocodile!" Cammie declares. I shoot her a cynical look. She is on to me. I want to end the game and the bunny-hungry creatures of my creation are making her frustrated.

"Why? That makes no sense! The bunny is a vulnerable animal with absolutely no defense system."

"Mommmmmm!"

"I mean, you have aptly described the ecosystem of bunny land and it is only natural for predators to not only exist but to be running rampant." 

The compromise was to go to the local cafe, buy some lunch and take a card deck to play Spit. I thought we had a blast - but later when I looked on my camera I saw the pictures to the left. I think she was bored.

When Cammie's order arrived I realized how hungry I was. The dark, black sliced olives in the corner beckoned me. The avocado slices and caramelized, fajita-seasoned chicken strips lay as a moist masterpiece on top. The moment I put a combo of the three (with a little lemon vinaigrette mixed in) onto a fork and then on my palate I knew I had to recreate it in mass at home.

Garlic Lemon Chicken Fajitas

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon cilantro
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1-1/2 pounds of free range chicken breast, cut into think strips
1 small red bell pepper, sliced thinly
1 small green bell pepper, sliced thinly
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, diced
More salt to taste
Corn Tortillas
Avocado
Salsa
Spinach
Cheese

Directions:

Mix the juices, oil, salt and all of the spices in a bowl. Measure out 1/4 cup of the marinade and place aside. Place the chicken strips in the bowl and mix, using your hands to massage the solution into the chicken. Let sit and marinate while you continue to prepare the meal.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees to prepare to toast the tortillas.

In a large heated skillet on medium high heat some olive oil and begin cooking the onions until they are translucent. Add in the sliced bell peppers and garlic and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the marinated chicken to the pan and cook until heated through (8-10 minutes). Add more salt and cumin to taste.

Heat the tortillas in the oven, grate the cheese, and slice the avocado. Spoon the fajita chicken mixture into a corn tortilla and add your favorite toppings (I ate it in a bowl with salsa spooned on top).

Enjoy!!

Nat

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe.... going to try it tonight for a family get-together!!

    ReplyDelete