Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 31 - I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts, Diddly Dee

Yesterday evening I was famished. It was already 6:00PM and I needed to pick up my daughter from gymnastics, go to the grocery store and make dinner. I thought, 'Geez, that is going to take a good hour and a half. I am hungry now!' I could go and get take-out somewhere or buy something easy to throw into the oven but I knew that my body was in need of something special. All that I could think about was a warm bowl of golden coconut curry. I was going to make it happen.

I ended up making the most delicious thai-inspired meal that night. As my family and I sat down at the table to eat I was transported to eden. The way the creamy coconut milk base coated my tongue and throat was divine. The moist pieces of chicken paired with slightly crispy disks of carrot and medallions of mushroom fulfilled a richness that I had been needing all week. The rain pittered-pattered outside and inside I was warm, comforted and satiated. I ended up needing only half a bowl that nourished me well into bedtime.

The next morning my skin was more radiant and the fatigue I had experienced the day before vanished. I honored what I wanted, listened to my body and could see that my body was thanking me for listening to its needs.

How many of us disregard what we feel we need because thoughts like, 'that food is too fatty, too rich or has too many calories' filter their way in?

What your body is telling you is always taking you in the direction of well-being if you can learn how to decipher its messages.

My craving for creamy coconut was absolutely no coincidence and I knew it. Coconut is truly a superfood.

TOP 10 REASONS WHY COCONUT IS A SUPERFOOD
  1. High in Vitamins, Minerals, Enzymes and Antioxidants. The majority of Americans are deficient in antioxidants and other nutrients. These substances fight stress!
  2. Easily Digested. Coconut doesn’t require any pancreatic enzymes for digestion! It contains certain fatty acids that have been used in clinical treatment of patients with digestion and absorption problems. This is great for people who have a hard time digesting fats, or whose gallbladders have been removed.
  3. Immunity. Coconut's lauric, caprylic and capric acids provide amazing immune-enhancing benefits! They are proven antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal agents that strengthen your immune system. It helps your body fight disease organisms such as: 
    1. Viruses like herpes, measles, and HIV
    2. Bacteria, such as listeria (food poisoning), streptococcus, and staphylococcus.
    3. Protozoa (parasites) like giardia lamlia.
  4. Healthy Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA). MCFA's are saturated fats that the body can digest and burn easier than long chain fatty acids (like in cheese, meat, dairy). MCFA's are a different form of saturated fat that does not increase triglycerides, cholesterol levels or your risk for heart disease.
  5. Sports Endurance Energy. The MCFA's in coconut are immediately sent to the liver to be used for energy unlike Long Chain Fatty Acids (from animal products) that can contribute to stored fat. In this way, coconut actually increases metabolism and energy without weight gain.
  6. Promotes the Absorption of Other Nutrients. Coconut assists in digestive system function and healing, while promoting the absorption and utilization of fat soluble vitamins. By eating my turmeric rich curry and beta-carotene packed carrot with coconut I increased the absorption of fat-soluble compounds (like vitamin A) that otherwise may have not been utilized.
  7. Electrolyte Drink. Coconut water contains more electrolytes than any fruit or vegetable. Because of it's unique chemical composition it is able to rehydrate the body and give it the strength and energy it needs for endurance and athleticism. In fact, it has 15 times the amount of potassium as most sports and energy drinks!
  8. Anti-Aging. Coconut is the richest natural dietary source of cytokinins that have shown promise in strengthening the elasticity of the skin and slowing down general degeneration in the body.
  9. Cardioprotective. Due to the high potassium content, coconut can stabilize blood pressure and improve circulation.
  10. Heat Stable. Coconut can be used at high temperatures without becoming damaged or oxidized. Many natural fats actually have a low smoke point (meaning that they become damaged when cooked at even a relatively low temperature). Extra virgin olive oil breaks down easily when frying and can actually increase our need for antioxidants to fight the damaged fats. Use coconut oil to fry, cook and bake.
For decades science was telling us that coconut was bad. We now know they were wrong. What could have prevented this misunderstanding? Listening to our body and following its beautiful signals.

No comments:

Post a Comment