Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 26 - Root Vegetable Rumble & Peter Pan Pesto Green Beans

Busy all the time and feel too tired to make a homemade meal? Read this blog for a super simple and easy dinner that is packed full of goodness!

With only 20 bucks in my wallet I had one goal: use only this money to make a killer dinner for three that is delicious, inexpensive and feels good in my family's collective belly well after suppertime.

 WHAT I GOT:


2 Large Yams
3 Large Purple Potatoes
2 lbs. Green Beans
1 package Garlic/Almond Pesto
Red Leaf Lettuce
Carrot
Avocado
Red Onion
Can of Olives
 

 WHAT I MADE:


Root Vegetable Rumble: Cut up the potatoes that I purchased and put into a baking pan, drizzled with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Baked at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Peter Pan Pesto Green Beans: Lightly steamed green beans that were then coated with a container of pesto.

Hodgepodge Salad: I added the rest of the ingredients I bought at the store above into a bowl along with some avocado, yellow beet and red bell pepper that I had left over. I sliced some chicken sausage on the side for those who wanted a denser meal. Served with Balsamic Vinaigrette.



 HOW IT WENT:


It is never too late in the day to make a delicious and fast meal!
My daughter (the current guinea pig in an unconditional permission to eat anything experiment) knocked my socks off with shooting for the two big plates of salad first. She gawked at the green beans (not a favorite) but I told her they were Peter Pan Pesto Green Beans; 'C'mon!!! Give just one a try.' She loved them. Ended up eating a plateful.

The decadence of the pesto paired with the simplicity of the green bean was genius. The way the crunchy and juicy texture of the salad items mingled with the Roasted Vegetable Rumble was divine. It reminded me of roasted vegetable salads that I used to have years ago at a pub. 

With candle lit and the table set we had the nicest meal of the week. Going out to eat is so overrated. Do a Root Vegetable Rumble instead!

Nat

1 comment:

  1. This is great! Funny though...I read this as I finished my dinner tonight of:
    **A big mixed greens salad with grated carrots and beets with tomatoes and goat cheese, with a homemade vinaigrette dressing.
    **Leftover baked sweet potato and steamed beets.

    Haha! I love your blog!!! Keep 'em coming!! =)

    ReplyDelete