Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 53 - The Ultimate Goal After Every Meal

Why do you eat? What is your ultimate goal from every meal or snack?

I know, a very simple question at first blush. When you really start thinking about it, though, you can begin to understand its depth. The answer to this question is one of the essential keys to awakening your healthy, vibrant and sexy body.

Take a moment to ask yourself what your prime motivations are for eating.

Ask yourself the following questions:
  • Do I eat to appease my body's basic needs?
  • Do I eat for energy?
  • Do I eat because I'm hungry?
  • Do I eat to feel stuffed and full?
  • Do I eat to distract myself?
  • Do I eat to get temporary taste-bud pleasure?
  • Do I eat to just get through the day?
All of the above illustrate one of the primary blocks to achieving long-lasting success developing a healthy relationship with food and body. Our true core reasons for eating are not reactive and surface-oriented; they are far deeper than you may realize.

What would happen if you felt like this after eating?
Ask yourself these questions:
  • Do I eat to feel light?
  • Do I eat to feel energetic?
  • Do I eat to enhance my body's pleasure throughout the day?
  • Do I eat to nourish and give to my body?
  • Do I eat to feel confident?
  • Do I eat to care for myself?
The truth is that our ultimate goal when eating is to end up feeling better. Our prime core reason for eating is not just for energy or pleasure in the moment that we eat; it is for a prolonged experience of gratitude and positive sensation well after.

When I ate my mid-morning snack today my goal was to end up feeling light and free. I imagined my body getting nourished and feeling improved from where I began. I cut my banana up and found that half-way through (after slathering almond butter on top) I was calm, centered and light; I no longer was hungry and was at a comfortable fullness. I took the remaining snack and put it away for another time, knowing that the pleasure I derived from half would supplement the bliss of continuing my day in a body open and easy.

Next time you sit down for a meal or snack, ask yourself why you are eating; what is your ultimate goal or motivation for when you are done? Write down the intention that you have and see that by simply setting the target, your body's natural wisdom will lead the way.

To a day of long-term pleasure and ecstasy in the body!

No comments:

Post a Comment