Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 2 - Morning Glory

During the night I feel as though I have left my body and traveled to other worlds. My dreams take me to places with no name and I journey through fear, doubt, insecurity and triumph as I conquer each circumstance. Being chased by thugs, walking through a dark alley, sneaking into a red carpet affair or trying my best to find another living being on a lonely and abandoned beach lit only by moonlight. These are some of the places I go.

It is when I open my eyes that the true magic begins, though. As I enter back into my body the sensation of my skin, from my toes all the way up to my scalp is palpable. The soft and receptive mattress cushions my body and the layers of fabric blanket me gently. My excitement for the simple yet profound morning to come is reason enough for me to open my eyes with curiosity and expectation.

I used to underestimate the power of being in this body and living my daily life. Somehow I thought that I should be flying planes, parachuting into the jungle or being whisked away on a romantic excursion, rolling my naked body in warm sand. I would get disappointed when the mouth-salivating love affair or world-renowned career that I could conjure up in my dream-time was not of this reality. Why wake up and be excited when my body or my life is not how I want it to be?

This dynamic shifted for me when I began recognizing the significance of every movement and decision I made; from the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning to the end of the day when I plop my purse on the window sill at home and begin my descent into the night. To truly take advantage of and feel every joy of this body I must recognize that being in it is the ultimate vacation. The vacation starts with a simple departure from the norm.

That is why morning time can be a key to changing your life. Just by getting up an hour earlier you are able to reshape and re-sculpt your body and your life. It is an allotted period of time where it is just you and your body. There is no responsibility, interruption or obligation in the quiet solitude of dawn. And from using this time fully you will see amazing results.

The first thing I did this morning was take my dogs outside to go to the bathroom. If I just about move an inch Basil (my Australian Shepard) will dash to the head of the bed and lick me with fervor trying to beckon the coming sunlight.

It was 5:30am and the forest was damp and busy with raindrops sifting down to the soil below. The cold air and drizzle coated my skin and I took a deep breath in. I felt like I was in an Irish soap commercial and that there should have been a waterfall, harp music and mermaids. I should have brought the camera. There is nothing more inspiring than to wake with the critters of the forest who are darting in and out of bushes and rushing up and down the trees.

I went upstairs to begin my morning ritual. I wash my face with warm water and get on my workout clothes. I do this slowly and with great intention. My body feels supple and soft as it adjusts to being awake. I stretch and meditate briefly (5 minutes tops) on my exercise mat and drink a glass of water.

I do a workout (right now it is 20 minutes of interval training) and push every muscle and fiber in my body to become stronger and full of life. I revel in the feeling of my breathing becoming heavier and sweat beads trickling down my body. I visualize blood flow coursing its way to every nook and cranny within, bathing my cells with oxygen and nutrients. It is almost as if doing this brings me into my body and makes me fully alive. You can see how different my body looks in just 20 minutes of movement.


I make my breakfast for my daughter and I. Right now it consists of a coconut and berry smoothie. So simple and fast yet gives my body a multitude of nutrients that it needs to recover, regenerate and thrive throughout the day.

Simple Coconut Berry Smoothie
1 Cup Organic Coconut Milk, 1 Banana, 1-3/4 Cup Frozen Fruit (Raspberries & Pineapple this morning). Place in blender and blend away! Add flaxseed or hempseed as optional boost. Serves 2-3.


We eat quietly as we chat about what we are looking forward to at school and work. The rain pitter patters outside. We both revel in the sweet and creamy fruit concoction as the decadence of breaking the fast of nighttime feels divine.

By the time I put on my clothes and get ready for work I feel as though I have spent hours at a spa. No task is too much and no day is too full when I focus on my Morning Glory time.

Your own personal Morning Glory requires just two things: an intention and then the follow through. If your intention is to tone and sculpt your body then exercise and movement is key. If relaxation or more purpose is your intention than reading a book or going on a nature walk may be the avenue to get there. Regardless find your goal and start implementing it tomorrow morning!

Tips for making your own Morning Glory:
  • Go to sleep early! Waking up an hour earlier without taking into account the amount of sleep you need is counter-productive. Make sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. Do not place judgment on yourself for going to bed early and do not let others. 99 percent of the time 8-10 pm is television and just general 'space out' time. You are not missing out. You are changing your life.
  • Be creative. You may not like to exercise at home or sit in the lotus position and meditate. Figure out creative ways to liven up your morning and fulfill your intention. Go on a walk in a local park or forested area with your dogs.  Purchase a workout DVD program to motivate you. Create a mock artist studio where you can paint and draw in the morning. There are many ways for you to move and honor your goals in the morning.
  • New music can be motivating. I am kind of cheesie. I enjoy dancing in my underwear and sweating hard to music that gets my adrenaline flowing. When I find new music that inspires me I cannot wait to get up in the morning and listen to it on my iPod during a workout or relaxation session. Dabble in the oldies you know you love but have not listened to in awhile, watch MTV or VH1 (usually in the morning they actually have music) to find new music or take a chance and buy a bestseller off of iTunes.
Nutrition is more than food. It is the care and feeding of the whole you. Start now and know that there is another person out there up at 5:30am paving the way for a better future.

Nat

3 comments:

  1. This sounds just like your many MANY facebook messages to me early on...unfortunately, I stopped getting up early and doing my yoga routine. Either I need to go to bed earlier or something because I was defeated by my fatigue. =(
    I do want to start up again though. =) Soon enough. Thank you for being you, and being so motivating!
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna - Go to bed earlier! That is key. Get earplugs so that you can go to sleep even if your family is still awake.

    Also, next time you get up in the morning I want you to immediately drink a big 16 ounce glass of water. That can do wonders for energy level and receptivity in the morning.

    Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Natalie. You are so much more than just a nutritionist. Not only do you awaken us to eat with intention and fill ourselves with true nourishment, but you inspire us to live with passion and to see the beauty and magnificence in ourselves and the world around us. You are a rare gem -- thank you for all you give us!

    ReplyDelete